- American Sniper (Movie, 2014) – Sniper and U.S. Navy SEAL Chris Kyle saves many lives on battlefields in Iraq while striving to be a good husband and father to his loved ones back in America. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video, CinemaNow, M-GO and Vudu.
- Saving Private Ryan (Movie, 1998) – A World War II captain and his squad risk all to locate and send home a soldier whose three brothers died in combat. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video, M-GO and Vudu.
- Good Morning, Vietnam (Movie, 1987) – In 1965, disc jockey Adrian Cronauer turns Armed Forces Radio on its ear with his irreverent brand of humor. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video, CinemaNow and Vudu.
- Flags of our Fathers (Movie, 2006) – Some of the servicemen who raised the U.S. flag on Mount Suribachi during the Battle of Iwo Jima at the end of World War II live to hear their status as heroes. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video, CinemaNow, HBO GO, M-GO and Vudu.
- Glory (Movie, 1989) – Robert Gould Shaw trains and leads an all-black regiment during the U.S. Civil War. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video,CinemaNow, M-GO and Vudu.
- Fury (Movie, 2014) – During World War II, a battle- hardened Army sergeant leads the crew of a Sherman tank on a deadly mission behind enemy lines to strike at the heart of Nazi Germany. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video, CinemaNow, M-GO and Vudu.
- Kingsman: The Secret Service (Movie, 2015) – A top-secret spy agency recruits an uncouth but promising street kid into its highly competitive training program, just as a twisted technological genius threatens the world. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video, M-Go and Vudu.
- Strange Magic (Movie, 2015) – A king who hates love orders the destruction of primroses, an essential ingredient of love potions; however, a feisty fairy princess challenges everything he believes. Available to watch on M-GO and Vudu.
- Seventh Son (Movie, 2014) – A supernatural champion has little time to train a new apprentice for a battle against a malevolent and vengeful witch. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video, M-GO and Vudu.
- Maggie (Movie, 2015) – After his daughter is infected with a virus that transforms her into a zombie, a small-town farmer will stop at nothing to save her. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video, M-GO and Vudu.
Filmmakers of World War II movies, one of Hollywood’s favorite subjects, have a difficult task when portraying the difficulties of war and depicting the sacrifices that each side had to endure. Many wartime films suffer in their portrayal because the filmmakers are either too afraid to go too far in showing the real gruesome nature of war or they scale back their depiction of the war and try to focus more on the toll that is taken on the soldiers fighting the war, but, at times, something seems to be missing. Fury is unapologetic in its tale of the horrors of war and equally focuses on the factors that deprive the characters of their humanity. Prepare yourself. Read More →
Film Society at Lincoln Center has a “surprise screening” this year for the New York Film Festival. Two of the movies in recent years have been Martin Scorcese‘s Hugo and Stephen Spielberg‘s Lincoln. I’ve never been lucky enough to get tickets, but this year, I did, so my mind is going wild with the possibilities. Maybe I’m way off base, but here’s my top 5 guesses. What do you think? Which will be the surprise screening? Vote at the bottom!
Entertainment Weekly’s newest edition , features a first look at Iron Man and Captain America as well as the film’s villain Ultron! The story goes on to give some insight into what we can expect from the film’s direction. After the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, the Marvel Cinematic Universe was shaken to its core with S.H.I.E.L.D. being disbanded and Earth’s Mightiest Heroes status as a group is left in question. Tony Stark has taken it upon himself to search for a way to secure the Earth without the need to put back on the Iron Man suit and give the rest of the team a break. His solution is Ultron, self-aware, self-teaching, artificial intelligence designed to help assess threats, and direct Stark’s Iron Legion of drones to battle evildoers instead. Read More →