I’m not quite sure which is more interesting: the life of Edward Jay Epstein or the stories he investigates. Add to that an original documentary style and Hall of Mirrors turns into an accessible, artistic, and entertaining documentary. First-time filmmaker sisters, Ena Talakic and Ines Talakic spent four years writing, directing and editing after a chance meeting with Epstein at a party.
Rather than the boring chronological story style, the directors move back and forth between the life of Epstein his investigations. At first, it’s almost confusing, then as you’re watching you start to realize what an amazing life he’s lead and what a huge contribution he’s made to journalism. It’s quite inspiring.
If you’re in the Washington D.C. area, the film has just been announced at the Double Exposure Investigative Film Festival.
HALL OF MIRRORS
Washington, DC Premiere
Directors Ena Talakic and Ines Talakic
Italy / United States
Saturday, October 21, 2017 – 2:30 PM
Naval Heritage Center
Edward Jay Epstein has built a career on taking a deeper look at hidden trends and unquestioned scripts that enter mainstream thinking. In Hall of Mirrors, he delves into Edward Snowden’s historic leak of data on U.S. government surveillance, delighting in the absurdities he discovers.
Filmmakers in attendance.
Books of Edward Jay Epstein:
- Inquest: The Warren Commission and the Establishment of Truth (1966)
- Counterplot (1968)
- News from Nowhere. Television and the News (1973)
- Between Fact and Fiction: The Problem of Journalism (1975)
- Agency of Fear: Opiates and Political Power in America (1977)
- Cartel (1978)
- Legend: The Secret World of Lee Harvey Oswald (1978)
- The Rise and Fall of Diamonds: The Shattering of a Brilliant Illusion (1982)
- Deception: The Invisible War Between the KGB & the CIA (1989)
- The Assassination Chronicles: Inquest, Counterplot, and Legend (1992)
- Dossier: The Secret Life of Armand Hammer (1996)
- The Big Picture: Money and Power in Hollywood (2000)
- The Hollywood Economist: The Hidden Financial Reality Behind the Movies (2010)
- The Annals of Unsolved Crime (2013)
- The JFK Assassination Diary: My Search for Answers to the Mystery of the Century (2013)
- How America Lost Its Secrets: Snowden, the Man and the Theft (2017)
TRT: 87 min
Directors: Ena Talakic, Ines Talakic
Producers: Ena Talakic, Ines Talakic
Editors: Ena Talakic, Ines Talakic
Directors of Photography: Ena Talakic, Ines Talakic